The first significant collection of artworks bequeathed to the States of Guernsey was that gifted by the retired diplomat Wilfred Carey in 1929. It was initially displayed at one of the island's libraries and then moved to the Lukis & Island Museum. It remained there until the establishment of Guernsey Museum & Art Gallery in 1978. Since then, the Museum’s art collection has continued to grow and now holds over 500 paintings. The collection is a valuable resource, reflecting not only the beauty of the Bailiwick of Guernsey but also the role it and its people have played throughout history.