The first painting to enter the Collection, ‘The Herd Lassie’ by Richard Ansdell, was presented in 1925 by John Booth (1856–1941) the eldest son of E. H. Booth, who founded a famous grocery business. The second gift to the Collection, ‘Lytham Sandhills’ by Richard Ansdell was donated by the artist's grandchildren in 1926. After John Booth's death his children, E. H. and J. K. Booth, presented a painting in their father's memory, ‘The Deathbed of Robert, King of Naples’ by Alfred Elmore. Alderman James Herbert Dawson, was the Art Collection's greatest benefactor: between 1931 and 1955 he donated 28 paintings and several other objects to the Collection, including ‘The Vision of Catherine of Aragon’ by John Henry Fuseli. It was his greatest desire to see an Art Gallery in the area; a wish that came true in 2007 with the establishing of the Fylde Gallery, which is located inside the Booth's supermarket in Lytham.
Fylde Borough Council, The Public Offices
292 Clifton Drive South, St Annes, Lancashire FY8 1LH England
01253 658 658http://www.fylde.gov.uk/
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit