Little is known about Flixton House before the nineteenth century, other than that it was built as a farmhouse in the late eighteenth century and that Ralph Wright, or his father William, either bought the house for the family or, as seems likely, given that they were a farming family, built the original building themselves. Certainly by 1801, Ralph was living in the house and in 1806 it was extended; it was in this year that the house was first referred to as Flixton House. In 1826, the stopping by Squire Wright of the Bottoms Footpath, which crossed his land, resulted in the first ever Association for the Preservation of Footpaths being formed. The Association took Squire Wright to court and won. The house continued to be the home of the squires of Flixton until the death of Samuel Worthington-Wright in 1934. The following year the house and grounds were purchased by Urmston District Council. It was opened to the public in September 1935 and is now used for various functions. Just to the side of the main entrance stands an old copper beech tree which is said to be the third largest of its species in the north of England and is reputed to have given shelter to the monks at the time of the Reformation. Flixton House is a Grade II listed building.
Flixton Road, Flixton, Greater Manchester M41 5GJ England
0161 912 3001http://www.flixtonhouse.co.uk/Home.aspx
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit