Epworth Old Rectory is the childhood home of John and Charles Wesley, who went on to found the Methodist movement. Their father, Samuel, became the Rector of the Parish of St Andrews, Epworth in 1695 and remained there until his death in 1735. It was at the Rectory where the Wesley children learnt their methodical approach to life, largely from their mother Susanna. The paintings are mainly portraits of the family members and events from their lives. Many were painted in the twentieth century. There are also some important paintings from the 18th and 19th centuries. Highlights are the Thomas Hudson portrait of Charles Wesley, known as the 'Lily Portrait', the John Jackson portrait of John Wesley and the portrait of Susanna Wesley by an unknown artist from the mid-18th century.
Epworth Old Rectory
1 Rectory Street, Epworth, Lincolnshire DN9 1HX England
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit