The Iveagh Bequest, Kenwood, is internationally renowned for the collection of paintings gifted to the nation in 1927 by Edward Cecil Guinness, 1st Earl of Iveagh. Old Masters and eighteenth-century portraits are displayed in the magnificent villa remodelled by Robert Adam and set in beautiful landscaped parkland on Hampstead Heath. The house opened in 1928 after being saved from developers and the art collection continues to grow, with many of the new acquisitions being possible with the assistance of grant aid bodies. English Heritage still follow the original wish of Lord Iveagh to display Kenwood as an eighteenth century gentleman’s home. Among the many world-famous works are a late self portrait, 'Portrait of the Artist', by Rembrandt, 'The Guitar Player' by Vermeer and 'Mary, Countess Howe' by Thomas Gainsborough. The Suffolk Collection contains Old Masters, royal and family portraits which once belonged to the Earls of Suffolk and Berkshire. It contains the largest collection of early, full-length Jacobean portraits by the English artist William Larkin.
Hampstead Lane, London, Greater London NW3 7JR England
0208 348 1286
Before making a visit, check opening hours with the venue