Emsworth Museum is administered by Emsworth Maritime and Historical Trust (a registered charity). The museum is run by volunteers and was awarded full Accreditation in 2009.
In the 18th and 19th centuries Emsworth was the principal port of Chichester Harbour and by 1900 was renowned for its oysters and scallops. J. D. Foster’s oyster smacks were the most technically advanced fishing vessels of the time. A major disaster in 1902 ended this trade.
Emsworth Museum has many exhibits and archives reflecting the history of the local people - their lives, shops, homes and work, together with CDs of memories recorded by residents and DVDs of activities and events filmed over the years. P.G. Wodehouse lived in Emsworth from 1904 until 1914 and a corner of the Main Room is devoted to his time here. Exhibitions in the David Rudkin Room (named after the museum's founder) change monthly.