The Duff Memorial Hall was given to the people of Busby in East Renfrewshire by Mr and Mrs Duff, in memory of their sons who were killed in the First World War.
Their son William was a lieutenant in the 7th Battalion Cameronians and was only 23 years old when he died at Gallipoli in 1915. At the start of 1919, Mr and Mrs Duff announced that they had bought vacant ground at the corner of Main Street, Busby, so that a hall could be built in memory of their son.
Sadly, in August of the same year, the Duffs' other son, John, also a lieutenant, died in Burma of pneumonia. As a result, it was decided that the building would be known as the Lieutenants Duff Memorial Hall.
The Hall housed baths (later removed), a library, a reading room and a social room. In 1953 the library was incorporated into the Renfrew County Library Service, and at present is in the care of East Renfrewshire Council.
Main Street, Busby, East Renfrewshire G76 8DX Scotland
0141 644 3930
Before making a visit, check opening hours with the venue