Bristol Library was founded in 1613 but moved to the present building in 1906. The library was designed by the architect Charles Holden and an extension was opened at the west end of the building in 1967. It is located on College Green next to Bristol Cathedral. The building has six floors, only two of which are open to the public. The remaining areas are offices and book stores; behind the scenes architectural tours are held regularly every year as part of Bristol Open Doors Day. The ground floor contains the Lending, Children's, and Music Libraries whilst the first floor contains the Reference and Local Studies sections.