The Bewdley Museum Trust was founded in 1969 with the aim of preserving Bewdley’s past. The museum opened in 1972 and is situated within an 18th century butcher’s shambles, the entrance is a Guildhall dating from 1802. The site also houses prison cells from 1801 and a brass foundry thought to have been built in the mid-18th century. The museum’s collection is made up of items relating to the history of the area which also includes the towns of Kidderminster and Stourport-on-Severn.
The paintings in the collection relate mainly to the local area with many portraits of local people and landscapes of the towns being common themes. The Kidderminster Collection was acquired in 1990 following the closure of Kidderminster Museum and Art Gallery. The Art Gallery was founded in 1929 and this collection is more diverse in nature, reflecting a broader collecting policy. The emphasis is on contemporary works of art, with general landscapes and portraits predominating and also includes paintings of local importance. The paintings have generally been acquired through donations, however, a large number were purchased by Kidderminster Art Gallery.
The museum holds regular events and daily demonstrations to promote local crafts and traditions.
Load Street, Bewdley, Worcestershire DY12 2AE England
0845 607 7819
Before making a visit, check opening hours with the venue