Arbroath Abbey was founded in 1178 for monks of the Tironensian order by King William the Lion. The site and adjoining visitor centre are now managed by Historic Scotland, and a small collection of eighteenth- and nineteenth-century paintings, prints and drawings is displayed in the Abbot's House. These include a series of topographical views showing the remains of the Abbey, the neighbouring burial grounds and the town. Two eighteenth-century oil paintings of the Abbey, by unknown artists, show the ruins and civil block from the south. A late seventeenth-century French School portrait of Cardinal Beaton is displayed on the first floor of the Abbot's House. Appointed Abbot of Arbroath in 1522, he later served as the last Archbishop at St Andrews where he was murdered in 1546.
Abbey Street, Arbroath, Angus DD11 1EG Scotland
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit