Annan Town Hall was built in 1878 by John Graham, a local stone mason. It replaced an earlier 1723 building which had in turn replaced a 16th-century fortified tower house. Scots Baronial in style, it uses the local sandstone and includes a tall clock tower characteristic of Scottish town halls constructed at this time. The rope work carved above the central doorway is a reminder of Annan's success as a port. In marked contrast to the Town Hall are the Council Offices, which are immediately adjacent. Although much more modern, they complement their earlier neighbour well. Today the building serves as the council chambers, municipal offices and courthouse.
Several artworks are exhibited in the Council Chamber, including a number by George Wright (1851–1916) and William Ewart Lockhart (1846–1900).
An inscribed stone bearing the words ‘ROBERT.DE.BRVS’ is also built into the wall of the Council Chamber. It is believed to have come from the ruins of a structure near Bruce’s Motte, a short walk away.
Find prints, books, gifts and exclusive product ranges in the Art UK Shop. Purchases directly support public collections across the country