Constructed in the 1730s, 16 New Street is undoubtedly one of the finest remaining early Georgian houses in St Helier. Over the years the building has been refurbished and adapted, then neglected at the end of the twentieth century, but at its heart remains a wonderful example of the architectural style and fashions of eighteenth-century Jersey.
The building was donated to the Trust in 2003. Whilst the original intention was to render the property wind and watertight, the generous bequest of Mollie Houston in 2004 facilitated its complete repair; 16 New Street was to become a Georgian house museum – the family home it would have been in the early nineteenth century. On 5th November 2011 the Bailiff of Jersey, Mr Michael Birt, opened the front door to the museum's first visitors.
St Helier, Jersey JE2 3RA Channel Islands
Before making a visit, check opening hours with the venue
Esther La Cloche, née Patriarche (1732–1801) unknown artist
16 New Street
The Reverend Jean La Cloche (1740–1811) unknown artist
16 New Street
Venues in Jersey
General Hospital, Jersey
Government House, Jersey
Hautlieu School, Jersey
Highlands College, Jersey
Jersey Arts Centre
Jersey College for Girls
Jersey Fire Station
Jersey Museum and Art Gallery
Subscribe to our newsletter
New stories, newly added artworks and shop offers delivered straight to your inbox every week.