Quentin Blake Mothers and Babies Underwater, 2012 limited edition print
This limited edition print was specially created to accompany the 2012 exhibition ‘Quentin Blake: As Large as Life’ and is stocked exclusively by the Foundling Museum.
The biggest of Blake’s hospital projects, Mothers and Babies Underwater (2011) was created for the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire in Angers, France. The maternity building is decorated with a series of fifty drawings which appear throughout, including the midwife station, father’s room and the delivery suites. The drawings depict mothers and babies swimming together underwater, and seeing each other for the first time. It’s a parallel world where their swimming expresses and celebrates their new-found liberty after the pains of labour.
- Edition of 250
- Material: Giclée print on Aquarelle Arches watercolour paper
- Dimensions: 56 cm x 40 cm
- Each individual print is signed by the artist
- The edge of the paper is natural and unfinished
- We recommend that the print is float mounted