The closing date for the 2023 prize has now passed.
1. Choose an artwork from the Art UK website that interests or intrigues you. Take a look at our advice on picking a work of art. We cannot accept entries for artworks that are not on the Art UK website.
2. Check what the judges will be looking for in your age category. Year 10/11 applicants (Scotland S3/S4; Northern Ireland Y11/12) should write 400 words and Year 12/13 applicants (Scotland S5/S6; Northern Ireland Y13/14) should write 600 words. Entries that exceed the word limit by 10% will be automatically disqualified.
3. Write about it in a way that would persuade people to share your interest and enthusiasm.
4. Use the links below to apply. Make sure that you select the right link for your age group. You can save changes to your application form as you go along.
5. Include the title of your chosen artwork and the artist's name in your submission.
6. Upload your essay with your submission. Make sure this is in PDF format and that your name is on your essay.
7. Nominate a responsible adult (teacher, care worker, youth worker, counsellor, parent, or carer) to verify that your essay was written by you. They will need to sign a form that must be submitted with your essay. Download the form at the bottom of this page.
Note: This step is mandatory. Any submission without a completed reference form from a responsible adult will be disqualified.
8. Submit your essay by the closing date, which is 30 June 2023.
If you have any queries or issues with the submission process, email us at email@example.com.