Art UK has updated its cookies policy. By using this website you are agreeing to the use of cookies. To find out more read our updated Use of Cookies policy and our updated Privacy policy.

Close

This was a Roman Catholic Arts and Crafts community based on a medieval guild established in Ditchling in Sussex in 1921 by Eric Gill, his assistant Joseph Cribb (both of whom had moved there in 1907), Hilary Pepler and Edward Johnston. Its ideals were expressed in Cribb's carved lettering on a Hoptonwood stone plaque, carved in Latin and English, now in The Wilson, Cheltenham that reads 'Men rich in virtue studying beautifulness living in peace in their houses.' The Guild, with its chapel and workshops, flourished from the 1920s in spite of Gill leaving for Capel-y-ffin in Wales in 1924, until the 1980s. Developed in association with Grant Waters, Art Detective Group Leader: South East England, East England and the Midlands.

5 artworks

.

Sleeping Christ
Photo credit: Manchester Art Gallery

Eric Gill (1882–1940)

Sleeping Christ c.1924
Eric Gill (1882–1940)
Wood
H 30.5 x W 43.2 x D 13.3 cm
Manchester Art Gallery

.

Saint Dominic
© the copyright holder. Photo credit: Royal Pavilion & Museums Trust, Brighton & Hove

Joseph Cribb (1892–1967)

Saint Dominic late 20th C
Herbert Joseph Cribb (1892–1967)
Portland stone
H 41 x W 13 x D 8 cm
Royal Pavilion & Museums Trust, Brighton & Hove

.

Our Lady of the Hills
© trustees of the David Jones estate / Bridgeman Images. Photo credit: Ditchling Museum of Art + Craft

David Jones (1895–1974)

Our Lady of the Hills 1921
David Jones (1895–1974)
Oil on canvas
H 61 x W 61 cm
Ditchling Museum of Art + Craft

.

Professor James Sully (1842–1923)
© the artist's estate. Photo credit: UCL Culture

Philip Hagreen (1890–1988)

Professor James Sully (1842–1923) 1918
Philip Hagreen (1890–1988)
Oil on canvas
H 45.8 x W 35.6 cm
UCL Culture

.

Skull
© the artist's estate. Photo credit: Royal Pavilion & Museums Trust, Brighton & Hove

Dunstan Pruden (1906–1974)

Skull mid 20th C
Dunstan Pruden (1906–1974)
Silver
H 23.2 x W 16 x D 10.3 cm
Royal Pavilion & Museums Trust, Brighton & Hove