By using this website you are agreeing to the use of cookies. Please read our Use of Cookies policy.

'The Monks' Map’

Photo credit: Abingdon Town Council

How can I use this image?


Add or edit a note on this artwork that only you can see. You can find notes again by going to the ‘Notes’ section of your account.

The map of the river between Abingdon and Radley has colloquially been known as 'The Monks’ Map' since it was given to the town over 100 years ago. Recent research, since the publication of John Steane’s article in 'Oxoniensia', indicates the map probably originally dates from the period 1550–1556 but there have been amendments and overpainting on at least two subsequent occasions. Although the name of the original map maker is not known, the names of the landowners from this period have been found on the map.

Abingdon County Hall Museum


  • Date


  • Medium

    tempera on vellum

  • Measurements

    41.5 x 265 cm

  • Accession number


  • Acquisition method

    presented by Sir Edmund Verney, 1907


You can help us tag artworks on Tagger. The tags above come from the public, and also from an image recognition project run by the Visual Geometry Group, University of Oxford.

Abingdon County Hall Museum

Market Place, Abingdon, Oxfordshire OX14 3HG England

Not all locations are open to the public. Please contact the gallery or collection for more information
View venue

How you can use this image

© All rights reserved

All images on Art UK are protected by copyright and image permissions vary across the Art UK website. Please check individual artwork pages for information about permitted use.

This image can be used for non-commercial research or private study purposes, and other UK exceptions to copyright permitted to users based in the United Kingdom under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

Some images on Art UK are available to purchase as prints and may be available to license for commercial purposes through the Art UK Shop.

For all other types of use please contact the owning collection. Their website may have more information about permitted uses and licensing.