By using this website you are agreeing to the use of cookies. Please read our Use of Cookies policy.

Stirling Moss Drives MG EX181 at Bonneville, USA

© the copyright holder. Photo credit: British Motor Industry Heritage Trust

How can I use this image?


Add or edit a note on this artwork that only you can see. You can find notes again by going to the ‘Notes’ section of your account.

The barren landscape of the Utah salt flats has historically been the setting for many a record-breaking attempt. In 1957 MG asked Stirling Moss to pilot its small streamliner, EX181. Its teardrop shape glints in the sun as its races across Bonneville at speeds approaching 250mph, amazing then for such a small car. The scene is captured by Roy Nockolds, a renowned motoring artist. He was a self-taught artist apart from taking some private lessons in figure drawing.

Heritage Motor Centre


  • Date


  • Medium

    oil on canvas

  • Measurements

    62 x 101 cm

  • Accession number


  • Acquisition method

    gift, 1986


You can help us tag artworks on Tagger. The tags above come from the public, and also from an image recognition project run by the Visual Geometry Group, University of Oxford.

Heritage Motor Centre

Banbury Road, Gaydon, Warwickshire CV35 0BJ England

This venue is open to the public. Not all artworks are on display. If you want to see a particular artwork, please contact the venue.
View venue

How you can use this image

© All rights reserved

All images on Art UK are protected by copyright and image permissions vary across the Art UK website. Please check individual artwork pages for information about permitted use.

This image can be used for non-commercial research or private study purposes, and other UK exceptions to copyright permitted to users based in the United Kingdom under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

Some images on Art UK are available to purchase as prints and may be available to license for commercial purposes through the Art UK Shop.

For all other types of use please contact the owning collection. Their website may have more information about permitted uses and licensing.