Art UK has updated its cookies policy. By using this website you are agreeing to the use of cookies. To find out more read our updated Use of Cookies policy and our updated Privacy policy.

Arthur D. Ross (1841–1928)

Photo credit: Highland Council

How can I use this image?


Add or edit a note on this artwork that only you can see. You can find notes again by going to the ‘Notes’ section of your account.

This portrait of Arthur Ross hangs in Inverness Town House, in the Main Hall. Born in 1849, Arthur Ross succeeded his father in a well-established painting and decorating business. He entered the Town Council in 1882, where he served as dean of guild, bailie and treasurer before being elected provost in 1901, a post he held until 1907. During his period in office the town took over the administration of Tomnahurich Cemetery and electric lighting came to the town.

Inverness Town House


  • Date


  • Medium

    oil on canvas

  • Measurements

    171.8 x 146 cm

  • Accession number

    ITH 25


You can help us tag artworks on Tagger. The tags above come from the public, and also from an image recognition project run by the Visual Geometry Group, University of Oxford.

Normally on display at

Inverness Town House

High Street, Inverness, Highland IV1 1JJ Scotland

This venue is open to the public. Not all artworks are on display. If you want to see a particular artwork, please contact the venue.
View venue

How you can use this image

© All rights reserved

All images on Art UK are protected by copyright and image permissions vary across the Art UK website. Please check individual artwork pages for information about permitted use.

This image can be used for non-commercial research or private study purposes, and other UK exceptions to copyright permitted to users based in the United Kingdom under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

Some images on Art UK are available to purchase as prints and may be available to license for commercial purposes through the Art UK Shop.

For all other types of use please contact the owning collection. Their website may have more information about permitted uses and licensing.