George J. Webster [also known as George Webster] was born in Dundee, Scotland in c.1843 [1]. He trained as an artist at the school of the Board of Manufactures and the Royal Scottish Academy in Edinburgh, where he won the Stuart Prize in 1872 for a high relief entitled 'Christ Appearing to the Two Mary'. He subsequently settled permanently in Edinburgh and his occupation was given as Sculptor in the 1871 Scotland Census. Webster exhibited at the Royal Scottish Academy in Edinburgh virtually every year from 1864 to 1906. He also exhibited at the Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts; and Royal Academy in London. In addition he participated in the Dublin Exhibition of Arts, Industries and Manufactures and Loan Museum of Works of Art in 1872; Yorkshire Fine Art Society, Autumn Exhibition in Leeds in 1880; and the International Exhibition in Glasgow in 1901 His address was given as 3 Catherine Street, Edinburgh in 1864; 17 Greenside Street, Edinburgh in 1866 and 1871; 21 Lauriston Street, Edinburgh in 1872 and 1873; 28 Grindlay Street, Edinburgh in 1874; The Studio, 18 Queensferry Street, Edinburgh in 1875 and 1895; Studio, 17 Dublin Street, Edinburgh in 1896 and 1904; and The Knowe, Kirkbrae, Edinburgh in 1906.

Text source: Arts + Architecture Profiles from Art History Research net (AHRnet) https://www.arthistoryresearch.net/


Do you know someone who would love this resource?
Tell them about it...