Sculptor and teacher who was essentially a modeller of portraits. Born in Arensburgh, Estonia, after coming to Britain Schotz initially studied engineering at the Royal Technical College in Glasgow, then decided to study art at the School of Art there. His first one-man show took place at Reid and Lefevre’s gallery in Glasgow in 1926, Lefevre giving him his first one-man show in London four years later. He was head of the sculpture and ceramic departments of the Glasgow School of Art from 1938. Schotz was elected RSA in 1937 and was appointed HM Sculptor in Ordinary for Scotland. He exhibited widely, including the RA, RSA, Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts and Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool. Owners of his work include the House of Commons, Kelvingrove Art Gallery, Glasgow, the National Portrait Gallery, Edinburgh, and Jerusalem and Tel-Aviv art galleries, in Israel.
Text source: 'Artists in Britain Since 1945' by David Buckman (Art Dictionaries Ltd, part of Sansom & Company)