(b ?Amiens, ?c.1425; d Valenciennes, 25 Dec. 1489). Franco-Flemish manuscript illuminator and painter. In 1449–54 he lived in Amiens, and he joined the Tournai painters' guild in 1468, but most of his working life was spent in Valenciennes, where he is first documented in 1458. He had a great reputation in his day, but no works certainly from his hand survive. The main paintings attributed to him are two wings of an altarpiece (1455–9) from the abbey of St Bertin, St Omer (Gemäldegalerie, Berlin; fragments from the altarpiece are in the NG, London).
Text Source: The Oxford Dictionary of Art and Artists (Oxford University Press)