Photo credit: British Motor Industry Heritage Trust
Painter, born in Dunbartonshire, husband of the artist Mary Lascelles Harcourt, their daughters being the painters Anne, Aletha and Mary Edeva Harcourt. He studied for three years with Hubert von Herkomer at Bushey School of Art and was from 1901–9 governor of the Patrick Allan-Fraser School of Art, Hospitalfield, Arbroath. He was elected RBA in 1897, RP in 1912 and RA in 1926 and was also a member of the Arts and Chelsea Arts Clubs. A prolific exhibitor, Harcourt showed also at Fine Art Society, Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool, RSA and Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts. National Gallery of South Australia in Adelaide, Bank of England and Winchester College acquired his works. Lived latterly at Bushey, Hertfordshire.
Text source: 'Artists in Britain Since 1945' by David Buckman (Art Dictionaries Ltd, part of Sansom & Company)