(b Prenzlau, 15 Sept. 1737; d San Pietro di Carreggio, nr. Florence, 24 Apr. 1807). German landscape painter, active in Italy from 1768. In 1786 he became court painter to Ferdinand IV of Naples. He was a sensitive upholder of the ideal landscape tradition of Claude, which he seasoned with touches of Romanticism. Much of his large output was devoted to views of famous sites, which were eagerly sought by foreign visitors to Italy.
Text Source: The Oxford Dictionary of Art and Artists (Oxford University Press)