Frederick Landseer Maur Griggs [commonly known as F.L. Griggs and as F.L.B. Griggs*] was born in Hitchin, Hertfordshire, England on 30 October 1876. He began his career as an as an architectural draughtsman first in the office of Walter Millard in Hitchin and, from 1895, with C. E. Mallows. By 1897 he had left Mallows' office and had set up a studio in Hichin. He soon made his mark with his architectural perspectives and in 1900 was commissioned by Macmillan & Co. to draw illustrations for Hertfordshire in their Highways and Byways series. He subsequently produced twelve books for the series over a period of forty years. In 1903 Griggs moved to the Cotswold village of Chipping Campden in Gloucestershire, a hotbed of the Arts and Crafts movement, where C.
In addition to his work as an illustrator, Griggs was also an architect. He mainly worked on small-scale commissions and on restoration projects on the Cotswold area. With Norman Jewson, he designed Dover's Court in Chipping Campden, built between 1927 and 1937. He also worked with Jewson in the restoration of buildings in Chipping Campden]. Following World War One, Griggs designed a number of war memorials including at Biddenham, near Bedford, and at Chipping Campden.
In 1921 Griggs established his own press, and designed several typefaces, including Leysbourne (later renamed Littleworth)
He exhibited at the Beaux Arts Gallery, Baillie Gallery, Colnaghi & Co. Gallery, Fine Art Society, Royal Academy, Royal Society of Painter-Etchers and Engravers and Arthur Tooth & Sons Gallery in London; Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts; and at the Royal Scottish Academy in Edinburgh. He was elected a member of the Art Workers Guild in 1911; an Associate of the Royal Society of Painter-Etchers and Engravers (ARE) in 1916; a full member of the Royal Society of Painter-Etchers and Engravers (RE) in 1918; an Associate of the Royal Academy (ARA) in 1922; a member of the Royal Society of British Artists (RBSA) in 1925; and a Royal Academician in 1932. He was also an active member of the Council for the Preservation of Rural England and the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings.
Griggs died in London on 7 June 1938.
_____
* Prior to his conversion to Roman Catholicism in 1912, he sometimes signed his work F.L.B. Griggs
Text source: Arts + Architecture Profiles from Art History Research net (AHRnet) https://www.arthistoryresearch.net/