The Stirling Smith Art Gallery & Museum, founded in 1874 with the bequest and collection of the artist Thomas Stuart Smith (1815–1869) on land provided by the burgh of Stirling, still operates under the modified trust deed of its founder. From the earliest times, the spectacular Stirling landscape was a magnet for artists as well as tourists. The English artist Joseph Farington was given the Freedom of Stirling in 1788 for his artistic tributes, and every landscape painter of note came to Stirling. Beyond its impressive Doric portico onto Dumbarton Road, the Smith has three gallery spaces, a lecture theatre, shop and café. There are a number of specialist collections, and contemporary portraits in other media are now commissioned and collected.