The Old Schools date from the mid-14th century and were once home to the Divinity and Law Schools and to the University Library. They now house the University's principal committee-rooms and the headquarters of the modern central administration. The collection of pictures in the Old Schools seems to have begun in 1580. The prominence in the collection of monarchs, statesmen and clerics from late Tudor and early Stuart times doubtless reflects their patronage and the expansion and consolidation of the University that took place during that period. Perhaps the most unusual picture in the Old Schools hangs in the Registry and is from the late 16th century, originally by John Cobbould. This remarkable record of the academical dress and formal proceedings of the University in earlier times depicts an array of processions and meetings, including what appear to be the old Caput Senatus (ancestor of the modern University Council), a Syndicate (University committee), and the now obsolete duties of certain Officers, such as regulating weights and measures. The Old Schools house the University of Cambridge's central administration and are not open to the public. Please could any enquiries be sent by post to ‘Old Schools, Trinity Lane, Cambridge CB2 1TN’.
Old Schools, University of Cambridge
Trinity Lane, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire CB2 1TN England
01223 332 200http://admin.cam.ac.uk
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit