Beningbrough Hall, rather out on a limb in the flat flood-plain of the River Ouse, was once home to the Bourchiers and subsequently the Dawnays until sold in 1916 to Enid (1878–1957), Countess of Chesterfield. On her death it was acquired by the government using the National Land Fund and transferred to the National Trust in 1958, after a four-day sale of its contents. Since 1975 it has housed many fine eighteenth-century portraits from the National Portrait Gallery. Not much remained from the previous owners except overdoors and, notably, an interesting view of Beningbrough Hall from the north, signed and dated 1751 by the still somewhat shadowy figures, John Joseph Bouttats and John Chapman, showing non-existent flanking pavilions.
National Trust, Beningbrough Hall
Beningbrough, York, North Yorkshire YO30 1DD England
Please remember to double-check the opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit